Recently I was working on a client project that was an InstallScript MSI installation. I had walked through the source code and had many several successful debug sessions until one tripped me up. I went to the toolbar, clicked the Debug button, and received an exception. The dialog box that showed the exception had a link I could click. When I did that, it created an email to send to InstallShield outlining the exception.
Here is a screenshot of that exception:
Unfortunately, this information did not give me a clue to what was happening.
No matter what I did, I couldn’t get rid of the exception. At one time, I thought my installation of InstallShield 2012 was corrupted, so I did a Repair installation. That didn’t help.
Next, I rebooted the machine and tried to debug again. That didn’t help either.
After several other failed attempts to resolve the problem, I decided to look in the registry. It was there that I found the problem.
Earlier, I had installed the client’s previous installation and then uninstalled it. I found that during the uninstall, it left a lot of trash on the computer and in the registry. By trash, I mean that the uninstall was not complete. A lot of stuff was left behind. After I cleaned up the trash, I was able to successfully debug my new project.
I am just passing this on in the hopes that it might help someone in the future.